The Business Case for Climate Change: Putting the “E” in ESG (Webinar)
The Business Case for Climate Change: Putting the “E” in ESG
Thursday, June 16, 11:00 AM Eastern
Professor Witold Henisz|
Deloitte & Touche Professor of Management in Honor of Russell E. Palmer, former Managing Partner
Professor of Management
Director, Wharton Political Risk Lab
Founder, ESG Analytics Lab
According to a publication by McKinsey, “The E in ESG, environmental criteria, includes the energy your company takes in and the waste it discharges, the resources it needs, and the consequences for living beings as a result. Not least, E encompasses carbon emissions and climate change. Every company uses energy and resources; every company affects, and is affected by, the environment.”
One of the co-authors of that article is Wharton Professor Witold Henisz, Founder of the ESG Analytics Lab, who will speak to ALDA members on June 16 about the importance and impact of the E in ESG. Henisz has said, “These are concerns (environmental) that people who are widely successful capitalists are speaking out about. It’s not just fringe activists…When people at that level start talking about these issues, it gives them more credibility.” He will share more about that credibility, what it means for financial markets, and its relevance for ALDA member companies—from large, publicly traded companies to start-ups.
To get an idea on the level of expertise that Professor Henisz will bring to the session, you can read articles on Making a Case for Climate Change Adoption, Five Ways that ESG creates value, and Humanizing ESG.
Executive Breakfast at Analytica 2022
Details Members Register Here >
June 22, 2022
Restaurant Seeblick at The New Munich Trade Fair Centre
7:30 AM (CEST) Breakfast
8:05 AM Presentation
9:00 AM Adjournment
The breakfast presents a great opportunity to meet and network with other senior executives from our members and invited guests attending Analytica 2022.
In addition to presenting a great opportunity to meet and network with other ALDA member executives and a few key membership prospects attending Analytica, we also invite a guest speaker.
Prof. dr. John W. A. Rossen, a Medical Molecular Microbiologist at LMMI Isala, Zwolle, The Netherlands will be our speaker. Professor Dr. Rossen is also an Associate Professor, Department of Medical Microbiology and Infection Prevention, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands and an Adjunct Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. He started as a medical molecular microbiologist at the Laboratory for Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (LMMI) Isala in October 2021. His focus is to further power science and medicine to improve health by decoding the unknown, including setting the standard for identifying and understanding microorganisms and their role in human disease and public health.
Professor Dr. Rossen has a 30-year history in Molecular Virology and Microbiology and published more than 200 peer-reviewed articles. He obtained a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics & Physics at Utrecht University and a Master of Science in Biology at Utrecht University as well. In 1996, he obtained a PhD in (Molecular) Virology and Cell Biology at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University. His PhD research focused on “Coronavirus – Host Interactions.” Since 2004, next to his (fundamental) research, he is actively involved in Molecular Diagnostics and Prevention of Infectious Diseases. As a Professor for Personalized Microbiology, he successfully implemented the use of Next-Generation Sequencing for routine Clinical Microbiology and Infection Prevention. Nowadays, he and his research group focus on applying metagenomics and metatranscriptomics into Clinical Microbiology and Public Health.
2022 Fall Senior Executive Conference
Details Members Register Here >
The Fall Senior Executives Conference is one of our semi-annual meetings designed for member company C-suite executives, presidents and their senior executive teams. Each meeting focuses on emerging trends and business strategies and offers great insights and advice, along with many opportunities for dialogue with other senior executive attendees.
Past meetings have focused on proteomics, artificial intelligence, immunology, and digital and the transformation of healthcare. We include a global economic and financial outlook to complement each topical program. The 2022 Senior Executive Conference will focus on Trends in Pharma: The Latest Developments in Drug Discovery & Manufacturing.
October 2-4, 2022
The Dolder Grand
For those in Zurich on Saturday, October 1:
ALDA Member-hosted Event
Hosted by Tecan, Mettler-Toledo & Volpi
Location TBD; will take place in downtown Zurich
Exact timing TBD; likely late afternoon/early evening
This event will feature food, drinks and live music.
All ALDA attendees and spouses are welcome to attend as part of their ALDA conference registration if you are in Zurich on Saturday!
Sunday, October 2:
6:00 – 9:00 PM CEST Opening Reception & Dinner with guest speaker
Member of German Council of Economic Experts
Monday, October 3:
9:00 AM – 4:30 PM CEST
The majority of the topical content will take place on this day. All sessions will take place in the same room, delivering top-notch content to all of the executives in attendance. Sessions will include topics such as:
- Pharma Market Overview: Developments in Europe, Asia & North America
- Beyond First Generation Single Target Drugs in Cancer: Novel Therapeutic Strategies Based on Cancer Evolution Insights
- Other trends in Pharma: Discovery/Manufacturing. What tools/solutions are needed by our customers?
- Financial Insights focused on this space.
- Executive Roundtables, attendee-selected topics for small group discussions.
- The Next Opportunities in Pharma, presented by leaders of up-and-coming life science tools European & Asian companies
5:30 – 9:00 PM
Monday Night Reception & Dinner: Cruise on Lake Zurich
Tuesday, October 4:
8:00 – 9:30 AM Closing Keynote
The Rt. Hon. Theresa May MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (2016-2019)
Current Member of Parliament
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
*NEW for Zurich* Luncheon
Welcome New Members!
We are delighted to welcome several new members.
Meet Our Members
Membership is open to companies with a life science, analytical, and diagnostics technology business.
These companies include manufacturers and suppliers of:
- Analytical Instruments, Reagents, and Consumables
- Lab Automation Tools
- Life Science Instrumentation, Reagents, and Consumables
- Software and Informatics – pure play sales force software
- Clinical Invitro & Advanced Diagnostics
ALDA meetings, market data, and surveys are tailored specifically for CEOs, presidents, and senior executives of member companies.
Your annual dues should be calculated on your worldwide “analytical and life science systems” and “diagnostics” business revenues for the most recent business year of the member, its divisions, business units and subsidiaries.
In addition to the annual dues members pay registration fees for attendees at some meetings. For most member companies that is estimated to average between $5-7K USD per year.
“Diagnostics” business refers to revenues from: molecular diagnostics; companion diagnostics; and emerging and next generation diagnostic technologies such as cellular diagnostics.
|Annual Revenues (in US Dollars)||Annual Dues|
|Under $10 Million||$2,750|
|$750 Million-$2 Billion||$36,000|
|Over $2 Billion||$39,000|
ALDA meetings, market data and surveys are directed to CEOs, presidents, and members of their senior executive teams. Most members agree that the most important membership benefit is the opportunity to regularly meet, have dialog, and develop strategic business relationships with others.
We offer the opportunity to connect the industry and its leaders and glad assist in making introductions between one member company to another.
Throughout 2020 and the early part of 2021 ALDA held virtual conferences with the fall 2020 conference focused on artificial intelligence and our spring conference focused on pandemics and infectious disease.
Senior Executives Meetings
Semi-annual meetings focus on timely topics and feature world-class speakers who offer strategic insights into trends, emerging technologies, and new markets. Leading business-school academics and industry consultants provide keynote presentations.
The Spring Meeting is typically held in Boston on the first Sunday-Tuesday in May and our Fall Conference is held on the West Coast on the first Sunday-Tuesday in October. Our Fall 2022 Conference will be held in Zurich, Switzerland.
Recent ALDA Semi-annual Meeting Topics:
- 2022 Spring: Unlocking Opportunities in Cell and Gene Therapies
- 2021 Fall: The Proteomics Evolution: What’s New & What’s Next
- 2021 Spring: Pandemics & Infectious Disease
- 2020 Fall: Artificial Intelligence
- 2020 Spring: ALDA Senior Executive Education: Scott Gottlieb and McKinsey & Company
- 2019 Fall: Immunology
- 2019 Spring: Single Cell Biology
- 2018 Fall: Digital and the Transformation of Healthcare
- 2018 Spring: Synthetic Biology
- Annual Meeting for Senior Marketing & Sales Executives
- Annual Meeting for Senior Customer Service & Support Executives
- Two Regional Senior Executive Dinners – one in Boston and one in the San Francisco Bay area
- Trade Show Breakfast Meetings which include AACC, AMP, Analytica, ECCMID, and SLAS
- Virtual Working Groups for HR and Operations Executives called Collaboratives – these are designed to bring industry experts and your leadership teams together to share best practices used to help manage the COVID crisis. Work from Home, Back to Work and most recently, how member companies are handling the vaccination process for employees have been topics covered with this group.
- Vaccine Mandate Collaborative for members. This is a topic that is constantly evolving and companies are interested in knowing how other organizations are approaching mandates.
- A series of D&I Collaboratives. Our first session will focus on Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Culture of D&I.
ALDA meetings offer opportunities to make valuable contacts and engage in dialogue. Increase your company’s visibility and gain valuable industry connections for business partnerships, OEM and sales opportunities, strategic investment, and mergers and acquisitions. In addition, trade show events and annual dinner meetings on both coasts make it easy to network with other industry executives, customers, and international organizations.
“ALDA brings together some of the brightest and most talented minds from both the life science and diagnostics space – it is a forum where we can truly interact and network with one and other in a way that no other industry association has enabled.”
Kamni Vijayena, Vice President and General Manager, Point of Care Diagnostics at BD
ALDA sponsors four market data reports.
1. The Industry Market Assessment Report is published quarterly and sent to all members of ALDA. The cost is included in your annual dues. The report contains a high level overview of the global market and 15 product/market segments, and is designed to complement your internal market research. Official and alternate representatives will automatically receive this report.
The following three reports are available only to participants:
2. The Global Lab Instruments Bookings Report tracks global bookings (orders) on a quarterly basis for about a dozen laboratory analytical instrument systems including LC, GC, LC-MS, GC-MS, UV/Vis, AA, FTIR and ICP products. ALDA jointly sponsors this report with instrument associations in Japan and Europe.
3. The Microplate Reader Sales Report tracks global sales on a semi-annual basis for three categories of microplate reader products: single-mode microplate readers, multi-mode microplate readers, and washers.
4. The Bio-Research Reagents Market Report tracks sales on a semi-annual basis for several categories of life science reagents and consumables. The report is offered on a subscription basis through the ABA Audits firm in the UK, and ALDA subsidizes a portion of the participation fee for our members.
ALDA members are invited to participate in the Pearl Meyer CHiPS One World Total Compensation Survey at the special fee of $995 USD. (2020)
The CHiPs One World survey reports positions based on salary, short-term and long-term incentives, total cash/target and direct compensation, and global merit increases.
Participants receive an all-participants report, a custom peer group report and an ALDA-only report, along with a full year of 24/7 access to CHiPs online with free on-demand features.
The CHiPS One World also offers one-to-one account support through their dedicated team of account managers. This customized approach ALDA members go beyond the data to understand how the survey results apply to their organization and its unique compensation needs.
D&I Benchmark Survey
ALDA members were invited to participate in our first D&I survey which Pearl Meyers conducted our us. More than 45 member companies submitting information and have access to the final results. Initial feedback is that this survey is highly detailed and insightful for those participating companies. ALDA incorporated these results into our latest Strategic Plan as this will continue to be an importatn focus moving forward.
How to Join
If you are interested in learning more about the association or if you are ready to join please contact Kerrie Peterson our Director of Membership at [email protected].
- Pall Corporation, a Danaher Company
- Parker Hannifin
- Peak Scientific Instruments Ltd.
- PerkinElmer Inc.
- Persistent Systems
- Personal Genome Diagnostics
- Phase Genomics, Inc.
- PHC Holdings Corporation
- Phizzle, Inc.
- Planet Innovation
- PreOmics GmbH
- Presco Engineering
- Promega Corporation
- Protein Metrics Inc.
- Purigen Biosystems, Inc.
- Sage Science, Inc.
- Sartorius Lab Instruments GmbH
- SCHOTT MINIFAB
- SCIEX, a Danaher Company
- Scitara Corporation
- Seer Inc.
- Selux Diagnostics
- seqWell, Inc.
- Shimadzu Scientific Instruments Inc.
- Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics
- Slingshot Biosciences, Inc.
- SomaLogic, Inc.
- SPARK Holland BV
- Spear Bio Inc.
- Stilla Technologies
- STRATEC SE
- Strateos, Inc.
ALDA (Analytical, Life Science & Diagnostics Association) is a non-profit industry trade association for global companies that develop and market products and services used in life science research, drug discovery, QA/QC and food testing, and clinical and molecular diagnostics.
ALDA’s meetings, data and programs are directed to C-suite executives, presidents and senior executives of our member companies to help them to develop business strategies to grow their business.
Member companies range from the industry’s largest suppliers to medium-size and small pre-product companies. Together, our analytical and life science members account for more than 70 percent of the industry’s global revenues. Our diagnostics members manufacture and supply molecular diagnostics, companion diagnostics, and emerging and next-generation diagnostic technologies.
ALDA is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, USA.
ALDA members participate in the $70 billion life science, analytical & diagnostics tools market. Participating companies supply instrumentation, reagents, consumables, assays, and related services for life science research, drug discovery, food safety, QA & QC testing along with clinical and diagnostics testing.
Having deep insights in the life sciences enables ALDA members to connect life science research to clinical diagnostics and brings diagnostic solutions faster to market. This enables better diagnostics and helps more patients throughout the world.
Board of Directors
President and Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Analytical Instruments Group President
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
All ALDA meetings feature strategic presentations and are designed to facilitate networking opportunities. Customers and users often attend these meetings and present insights about their evolving needs for our industry’s products and services.
ALDA offers a variety of meetings:
- Semi-annual meetings for CEOs, presidents, and senior executives. These meetings focus on timely topics and feature world-class speakers who offer strategic insights into trends, emerging technologies, and new markets. Leading business-school academics and industry consultants provide keynote presentations. The Spring Conference is typically held in Boston on the first Sunday-Tuesday in May and our Fall Conference is held on the West Coast on the first Sunday-Tuesday in October.
- An annual meeting for senior marketing and sales executives, and senior service and support executives
- Two regional senior executive dinners – one in Boston & one in the San Francisco Bay area
- Trade show breakfast meetings including AACC, AMP, Analytica, ECCMID, and SLAS
- Virtual Working Groups for HR and Operations Executives called Collaboratives – these are designed to bring industry experts and your leadership teams together to share best practices used to help manage the COVID crisis. Work from Home, Back to Work and most recently, how member companies are handling the vaccination process for employees have been topics covered with this group.”
“While the meeting content focuses on learning more about the scientific trends (which) help us as leaders to stay current, the meetings help with networking and understanding the various companies and actors in the industry.”
Rainer Blair, President & Chief Executive Officer, Danaher Corporation
Market Data & Compensation Survey
When you join ALDA, you connect with comprehensive, current insight into the industry. ALDA produces four market data reports.
The Industry Market Assessment Report is delivered quarterly to all members, whereas specific market reports are provided to participating companies only. You will find more details on each report below.
Members use our reports to benchmark operations against industry data and averages and:
- Improve efficiency and performance
- Broaden their perspective on global users and markets
- Identify and track emerging trends
Industry Market Assessment Report
This quarterly report is designed specifically for senior executives and is delivered to all ALDA member companies.
It contains a high-level overview of the global market and 15 product sectors. Among the 15 product sectors are life science instruments and reagents, cell analysis, liquid chromatography, and mass spectroscopy and lab automation.
Global Lab Instrumentation Bookings Report
This is a quarterly report that covers bookings for multiple analytical product sectors. Bookings are divided into North America, Europe, Japan, China, India, Latin America, and rest of world (ROW).
Member companies must provide data in order to receive this report.
Sectors covered include:
- Total Laboratory Analytical Business
- Gas Chromatographs (GC)
- Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometers (GC-MS)
- Liquid Chromatographs (LC)
- Liquid Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometers (LC-MS)
- Ultra Violet/Visible/Near Infrared Spectrophotometers (UV/Vis/NIR)
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometers (AA)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Instruments (FTIR)
- Total Organic Carbon Analyzers (TOC Analyzers)
- Fluorescence Spectrophotometers (FS)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Systems (ICP)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma–Mass Spectrometers (ICP-MS)
Bio-Research Reagents Market Report
This semi-annual report is produced for ALDA by ABA Audits Ltd. of the United Kingdom and member companies must provide data in order to receive this report.
It covers sales of products in 14 groups, including:
- Cell Research
- General Biochemicals
- Specialty Research
- Amplification & PCR
- Real Time
- Labeling & Detection
- Protein, Enzymes & Peptides
- Substrates & Receptors
- Cell Research Kits & Specialty Kits
- Assay Kits
Microplate Reader Report
This report is issued semi-annually and member companies must provide data in order to receive this report.
It covers three product segments in a spreadsheet format and contains data for the current period and past historical periods.
Product groups addressed include:
- Single-mode: combining scintillation, fluorescence, and luminescence
ALDA members are invited to participate in the Pearl Meyer CHiPS One World Total Compensation Survey at the special fee of $1500 USD (2021).
The CHiPs One World survey will provide your company with accurate and comprehensive information at an affordable rate. All elements of the employee pay package are collected and reported, providing your company with the information needed to analyze your competitive position and compensation mix from a total compensation perspective.
Among the data to be reported for each position are base salary, short-term and long-term incentives, total cash/target and direct compensation, and global merit increases.
Participants will receive an all-participants report, a custom peer group report and an ALDA-only report, along with a full year of 24/7 access to CHiPs online with free on-demand features.
The CHiPS One World also offers one-to-one account support through their dedicated team of account managers. This customized approach will help you to go beyond the data to understand how the survey results apply to your organization and its unique compensation needs.
Even if your company participates in other compensation surveys, the ALDA-sponsored survey will provide valuable information that will allow you to “test” and compare the results of other surveys.
Participants’ data is typically collected during the Spring with final submissions due in early May and a July 1 publication of the final report.
This survey covers:
- Base salaries
- Incentive eligibility and pay
- Bonus compensation for each position
- Mix of base and incentive pay
- Compensation practices
- Salary administration
- Professional and managerial total compensation
- Data reported on a country-by-country basis
We recently launched our first Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarking Survey.
Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarking Survey — ALDA has identified—through its members, DEI Task Force, and collaborative efforts—areas where there is a lack of sufficient data in our industry for our member companies to know how they are performing relative to diversity and inclusion efforts. Many are making decisions without supporting data.
As such, ALDA launched our first annual ALDA Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarking Study late last year in partnership with Pearl Meyer, the highly respected compensation consultancy. The results were shared with our members who participated in February.
This confidential and anonymous survey aimed to address this lack of data, and benchmarked industry performance related to two primary areas:
- Diversity in the workplace
- Diversity and inclusion practices
This survey received responses from 45 member companies and includes representation data on ~265,000 employees. We are very pleased with the results, particularly because this is our first time ever conducting a survey like this. There is a clear appetite for this information in our industry, and we are excited to be able to provide this actionable data set through ALDA.
We are also building out a higher-level executive summary with a corresponding narrative to share with the industry, including non-participants. We expect that to be completed shortly.
We certainly aren’t an anomaly but there is clear opportunity for growth here within most of our individual companies. We will work together to make progress and will continue to work through ALDA to drive positive change. Our member companies need this data, and so does our industry. This will help ALDA as an association track how we are doing relative to other industries, in healthcare and otherwise. This will also help us, and our member companies, make strategic decisions.
ALDA is excited to drive this initiative; we hope you agree that this data will be of high value to the association, our industry, and most importantly to you, our members.
Have questions or concerns? Or just need more information from ALDA? Contact us today.
1800 Diagonal Road
Alexandria, VA 22314