2021 Fall Senior Executive Conference
European Attendance at ALDA Conference
We have been receiving questions related to the complexities of travel to the U.S. from European countries. We wanted to share the latest information we have with our registered conference attendees.
As you likely know, the travel ban into the U.S. remains in place and residents of Schengen nations are required to procure a National Interest Exemption (NIE) for travel to the United States. Much more information about this program and process is available here; it is recommended by most U.S. embassies that the application is submitted at least 3 weeks in advance of travel, so we wanted to give you ample time to submit.
A couple key points:
- We wanted to be sure you were aware that the NIE validity window has recently changed:
- A recent NIE extension applies retroactively to all NIEs approved in the last 12 months. Those who have already been issued an NIE may use that existing NIE for entry into the U.S. for 12 months following the approval date as long as the purpose of the new travel is the same as the purpose for which the NIE was granted. Individuals with a previously approved NIE should carry documentation showing that the NIE was granted and the purpose of the travel.
- The main parameters for an NIE from most European nations include:
- individuals who make a “vital support or executive direction for critical infrastructure or critical infrastructure-related supply chains in the U.S.”
- individuals who make a “vital support or executive direction for significant economic activity in the United States”
We have had members acquire an NIE for business-related travel recently, but some denied who listed a conference as their primary travel purpose. There most likely needs to be business-related activity tied to your position in your company to justify the NIE.
If you have any additional questions or if you would be willing to serve as a resource in this process for a fellow ALDA conference attendee, please reach out to ALDA President & CEO Mike Copps at [email protected]. The below NIE Request Process Sample was provided by our friends at Peak Scientific. We will share more resources as they become available.
**The health and safety of our members and attendees has been and will continue to be our top priority. We will continue to monitor and work with The Montage Resort to make sure protocols are in place at the hotel to execute a safe event, as well as monitor and make you aware of any travel requirements needed to attend the event in-person, especially for those traveling from Europe or other international locations.
Click HERE for information on The Montage’s Health and Safety Protocols.
Click HERE for CDC information on traveling internationally.